PPBF: Evie's Field Day

Happy Friday; this morning I'm reminded that the fog always lifts because last night we went to the Homecoming Parade and were blessed to experience the larger-than-life excitement, anticipation, hope and joy of those spirited teenagers as they gathered, unified and celebrated.

This may sound weird, but I was overwhelmed with gratitude when some young ladies called out my name from their float in the parade. It felt so good to hear my name out loud. When I smiled and waved back at them, one of them said, "She was my counselor in elementary school." 
Be still my heart.

This week, more gratitude as I connected virtually with a VA school family; 
click {here} to watch our Embodying Empathy workshop presentation.

And now, front and center on the PPBF podium today ... 


Title: Evie's Field Day
Author: Claire Annette Noland
Illustrator: Alicia Teba
Publisher: Cardinal Rule Press
Birth Date: May 2020
Suitable for: ages 4-8
Themes: sportsmanship, empathy, compassion
Brief synopsis: A very competitive Evie seems to thrive on winning, but when Field Day comes along and winning at an event doesn't look promising, she might just discover that there is, indeed, more than one way to look at winning.
Opening page: Evie loved to win. She could jump the highest, run the fastest, and hop the farthest.

Resources: Enjoy an ASL read-aloud with the author {here}.
Read a Kirkus Review about this "lively read-aloud" {here}.
Read Susanna Leonard Hill's engaging review {here}.
Listen as the author discusses the book {here}.

Why I like this book:  First of all, the brilliant cover caught my eye. From the colorful letters in the title to the adorable child looking up at what appears to be her bluebird of happiness, I was intrigued and wanting to know more. Inside, a before, during, and after blueprint to guide its readers through the simple yet powerful race that they're about to run through Field Day with Evie. Inside, a gorgeous combination of gray and colored illustrations mixed with the ups and downs of the Field Day frenzy kept me engaged as I eagerly mapped out how I'd stop on every page to gather the coveted reflections from my learners, who would be more than thrilled to let me know what they do and don't like about that page. Then, a bonus in the back: 10 Suggestions To Help Your Children Learn Good Sportsmanship along with a suggestion for a few rounds of Good Sport/Bad Sport, a game we called Fair or Foul.   

This little gem is a picture-perfect addition to my 
colorful character-development collection. 


Compare and contrast it with You're a Good Sport, Mrs. Malarkey as you discuss what it means to be a good sport on and off the field, whether it's Field Day or not, at any age or stage in life.

Encourage your budding athletes to share a story about a time that
they wanted to win but they just weren't on track to win that day.
What happened? What did they learn from the experience?
How did they feel? Was it hard to lose graciously?
What would they change if they had a do-over?
How might changing their mindset help?

Show The Greatest, then talk about optimism and a winning mindset.

Finally, use this treasure to reflect on empathy, compassion, and kindness.

On human kind. And the human race.

What does it sound like, look like, and feel like
to win at the game of life?
To win at empathy?
To win at compassion?
To win at kindness?

Not just surface kindness but sacrificial kindness?

Whom do they know who runs life's race fueled by that kind of kindness?

Sounds like the perfect time for an Empathy Hero project, don't you think?


Check out this book, then head to Susanna Hill's blog for today's other PPBF picks.








6 comments

  1. This book sounds like a perfect opportunity to discuss how being a good sport is about more than being good at something or winning. Love your "colorful character" section, but am wondering how you every find anything, LOL? I'm also impressed that you actually attended a homecoming parade. It feels very far from our isolated experiences right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jilanne; great question about the books. We just organized them by color last week, so I'm waiting to see if I can remember what color a certain book is when I need it!

      Delete
  2. Another interesting book to combine with this might be Juan Gets the Jitters by Aneta Cruz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for good sportsmanship books since our playground sometimes turns into the olympic trials for some of our students! Will look for this new treasure. I think I will pair it with this "On the Road with Steve Hartman" clip: https://video.link/w/UCesb

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need to embrace "more than one way to win" - thanks for sharing this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Barbara,
    What a wonderful surprise to see this post on Evie's Field Day! Thanks so much - I Love the suggestions you shared and the fact that Evie is on your colorful character-development collection

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!