PPBF: I Promise

Today I'm grateful for Teacher2Teacher for sharing this Tweet.

I've been digging into equity work and stretching and growing. A LOT.

So many new tools emerging, too, like these beauties:


The brilliant text and illustrations in today's PPBF also spotlight identity.


Title: I Promise
Author: LeBron James
Illustrator: Nina Mata
Publisher: HarperCollins
Birth Date: August 11, 2020
Suitable for: ages 4-9 (and older)
Themes: empowerment, leadership, affirmations
Brief synopsis: Page after page of actionable promises that kids (and adults alike!) can make to themselves to help become their best self.
Opening page: 
I promise to work hard and do what's right, 
to be a leader in this game of life.

Resources: Listen to the illustrator read this treasure aloud {here}
Read an NPR review {here}
Learn more about the LeBron James Foundation {here} and the I Promise School {here}

Why I like this book: I was actually looking for a book to read to the counselors I've been mentoring as we practice closure and say goodbye when this masterpiece found me. The more times I read it, the more nuggets of wisdom jump off of the pages and in to my heart. It's the kind of book that makes me wish I were still working in a school setting and growing along students of promise as they stretch and dream. So we're clear, it's not a story but instead a series of promises that students can make to themselves each day.

 It's about walking our talk and giving ourselves grace. I
t's about holding hands and honoring hearts. 
It's about being the best version of ourselves 
so we can leave the world better than we found it.

Simply put, this book is our promise to ourselves and each other.

Use it to help students find their purpose by making their own promises.

What's their game plan?

How do they let their magic shine and still be a team player?

How can change bring us happy?

What does it mean to cross bridges and break down walls?

It reminds me a lot of this Class Promise from Mrs. Krail's class years ago.


And I can totally see taking this spread and creating a wall visual for everyone to sign.


So much promise on every single page.


Check out this book, then head to Susanna Hill's blog 
for other PPBF picks today.










4 comments

  1. This reminds me of my son's elementary school, where they would go through their agreement system at the beginning of the year, with older students acting out scenarios for the younger ones. Then they would make a giant group poster with all of the agreements and sign their names to it. It would then hang in the entryway of the school for the year, and teachers would refer to the agreements every day. This book sounds like it would fit right in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful book about being our best selves. Lovely choice. I am a generation ahead of you, I believe, but I have a ball reading the books available to kids that we didn't grow up with! Even my husband is reading some of the MG/YA books that are excellent. He feels the same way. Our book recommendations compliment each other today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, you have a box of the new crayons! I want to send them to grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific to learn of ACTIONABLE promises kids can make. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!