PPBF: Dear Teacher,

It's National Let's Laugh Day; so grateful for this laughter and love.

My brother Mark could sense that this Groundhog-Day-type grind we've been in for a year now was starting to get to me; seeing this bouquet from him in the arms of the delivery guy coming down the sidewalk was just the booster shot of sunshine, hope and joy that I needed to fuel my journey. 💗 

Today's PPBF will likely be a similar shot of inspiration
and love for educators, teachers & caregivers alike.


Title: Dear Teacher,
Author: Paris Rosenthal
Illustrator: Holly Hatam
Publisher: HarperCollins
Birth Date: March 16, 2021
Suitable for: ages 4-8 (and up!)
Themes: teaching, gratitude, love
Brief synopsis: A love letter to teachers everywhere, with gratitude for all of the ways they uplift, encourage, inspire and grow us.
Opening page: Dear Teacher, THANK YOU. Just because.


Resources: Read the Kirkus review {here}.
Watch Paris on a Today Show interview {here}.
Read a CommonSenseMedia review {here}.
Compare and contrast it with A Letter To My Teacher.
Check out the book's trailer:


Why I like this book: Teachers, an often under-appreciated group of superheroes, deserve a beautiful love letter and tribute each and every day, but especially now, during a year that has absolutely stretched and exhausted them. Educators have gone above and beyond to keep our most precious natural resource, the children, engaged in and excited about learning, even as their own learning curve was super steep and riddled with roadblocks that threatened their own safety and wellbeing. And, since gratitude has so many therapeutic benefits, who wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of something so heartwarming and kind; think of it as a vitamin for your soul, like these throwback treasures from my Smile File:



These heartfelt beauties are medicinal when my heart starts to grow weary of the work, and I'm forever grateful that I could be there for Patricia, when her dad died. And that I could teach Autumn my respect songs. And that I could inspire Collin to be a counselor one day. And that I could inspire Jordan to be a peacemaker (and a poet!). I'm reminded of this: 


THIS very gratitude and love is what Paris' new book is all about; her words of affirmation jump off of the page straight to my soul thanks to Holly's playful illustrations. Use this book as a springboard for your kids to write a Dear Teacher letter to a past (or present!) teacher of theirs. What specific things do they want to thank that special teacher for?

I was a huge fan of Paris' mom, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, and her simply powerful work, and I'm just delighted that this young author is carrying on the essence of Amy in her writing. 

Consider this the gift that keeps on giving for your favorite teacher.

Next, head on over to Susanna Hill's blog for today's other PPBF picks

Happy reading, dear friend; thank YOU for walking me home.



 





4 comments

  1. Love these letters, the art on them too - and the term "vitamin for the soul"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie; don't you LOVE Patricia's rendering of herself walking me home, side-by-side with superhero insignias on our shirts. The story I'm telling myself is that it stands for Caring Patricia and Caring Gruener ... be still my heart.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous book. It is so needed to lift teacher's spirits right now! This would make a wonderful gift book to a special teacher! Thanks for sharing all the love letters from your students. They are so sincere -- what a gift to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teaching friends are really superheroes. I am amazed at what they have been able to do for their students - and keep their own families going.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!