PPBF: The Leaf Thief

Today I'm excited about having nothing on my calendar, which means I've got time to write, time to relax, time for a long, refreshing walk. 

As we fall into October, my schedule has been filled with author visits,


 both virtual and in-person,


my favorite of which happened in my home state of Wisconsin 
during peak Fall foliage in the midwest.






These breathtaking views perfectly complement today's PPBF.


Title: The Leaf Thief
Author: Alice Hemming
Illustrator: Nicola Slater
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Birth date: August 3, 2021
Suitable for ages 4-8
Themes: friendship, seasons, nature
Brief synopsis: As squirrel spends a glorious Autumn day counting each of the colorful treasures in his leaf canopy, he realizes that one of his coveted leaves is ... missing. Yikes! Will he find the culprit?
 
Opening page: 

Resources: Enjoy a book talk with the author {here}.
Watch the book trailer {here}.
Read the Kirkus review {here}.
Engage your scientists with these leaf experiments and activities.

Why I like this book: What's not to love! The squirrel is adorable. The bird is, well, a kind, compassionate friend, who lovingly holds space with Squirrel as he tries to find out who is stealing his leaves. And, besides it being an engaging story with brilliant illustrations and fun fonts, there are themes of integrity, trustworthiness, problem-solving and friendship woven throughout this creative text.

Use it as a springboard for a good old-fashioned leaf rubbing activity


I brought these home and invited my Facebook friends to come and get a class set. Sure enough, Mrs. Quigley came by and created a mindfulness and writing center. She kept a few of them sealed in a Ziploc bag to preserve the scent and keep them from curling up and drying out from exposure to the wind. What do the leaves look like? Smell like? Feel like? I showed the pictures to a third-grade friend in my class, and her response?

"Is that real?" 

We just don't get this kind of brilliance in Texas.


The extension opportunities feel endless; in the back of the book, 
information for its readers on the changes that season of Autumn leaves.

Check out this book, then head to Susanna Hill's Blog
for other PPBF picks from this week.

I'll leaf you with this, an October sunrise from my Dad's front door ... 


... and a cotton-candy sunset, over our family's farm. 


Talk about your colorful autumnal canvas.

Happy Shocktober, dear reader.











No comments

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!