Arrrrrrrrg you ready for some Friday fun?
This flashback photo has me smiling so big because
I'm flanked by two of my sweet (former) students,
frozen in time, some thirteen years ago.
I always enjoyed those dress-up days of school days gone by.
But enough of that nostalgia; who's on board to restart PPBF?
Title: Set Sail for School
Author: Daryl-Lynne Gottier
Illustrator: Gal Weizman
Publisher: Flashlight Press
Birth date: September 10, 2026
Suitable for: ages 5-7
Themes: back to school, humor, pirates
Brief synopsis: Jack readies himself for his not-so-ordinary school day.
Opening page:
"Ahoy there, Jack," I hear Dad say,
"Up, up you go! There's school today!"
I rub my eyes and lift my head,
then roll out of my comfy ...
Resources:
Check out an in-depth author Q&A {here}.
Watch the book's trailer {here}.
Download the teachers' guide {here}.
Peek inside the book at the publisher's page {here}.
Why I like this book: First, the scuttlebutt around town is that the incredible illustrations that bring this high-seas story to life will bait your readers, hook, line and sinker. Second, as readers catch the rhyming pattern (and expect the word bed but instead hear the word hammock), the laughter reels us in and leaves us thirsting for more. Third, this fun-loving text is so cleverly scripted for our young pirates. They'll eagerly anticipate looking for Jack's little red crab on each two-page spread as they predict which word comes next after the next ellipsis while preparing to turn to the next page.
And what a page-turner this back-to-school story is!
Filled with lots of new vocabulary and complete with a glossary in the back, Set Sail for School will likely steal your students' hearts and leave them willing to walk the plank for another read-through. I can already hear shouts of "One more time! One more time!" with my granddaughter.
Avast . . . with these enrichment ideas:
Create your very own recipe for Matey Stew.
Draw a treasure map with directions to the booty.
Write a story about your new student who's a pirate.
Write the next page mimicking the book with an "anti-rhyme."
Host a dress-like-a-pirate or a talk-like-a-pirate day.
Compare and contrast with Victricia Malicia.
Learn these fifty playful pirate phrases.
then head to Susanna Hill's blog
for today's other PPBF ... titles.
{See what I did there?}


No comments
I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!