PPBF: Dear Baby,

Happy PPBF; before my pick, a story of kindness on the cul-de-sac.

After some serious spring cleaning, a wall of 39-gallon trash bags (at least 20 of them!) brimming with yard debris was waiting for Friday morning pickup. The trash collector takes one look at that mountain, and motions to his driver to back up, to get the truck as close as possible. Then, before the first bag even makes it into the back, the driver puts it in park and gets out to help. So thankful that I got to see his servant heart giving kindness wings this morning; what a great way to start the day.

And now, another blessing, today's picture book recommendation,
one that I picked up for a friend whose grandson is on his way.


Title: Dear Baby,
Author: Paris Rosenthal
Illustrator: Holly Hatam
Publisher: HarperCollins
Birth Date: September 29, 2020
Suitable for: ages 4-8
Themes: love, connections, inspiration
Brief synopsis: "A love letter to little ones" perfectly describes this tiny treasure, filled with words of wisdom and hope to speak life into our littlest hearts that will bless ALL humankind.
Opening page: 

Dear Baby,
Welcome to this big, beautiful world.
It shines brighter now that you are in it.

Resources: Watch the book trailer {here}
Read a Kirkus review {here
Compare and contrast with Dear Girl, and Dear Boy, 

Why I like this book: First of all, I absolutely LOVE Paris' dedication to her hero mom, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, who lost her battle with cancer a few years back: I will forever be your baby.

This letter, the third in a trilogy, makes me want to try my hand at writing a note to my future grandchildren. What do I want them to know? What do I want to protect them from? What do I hope that they can change? How can I help them celebrate their uniqueness even as they work to belong and make their way in this world? How do I calmly assure them that they are loved, no matter what?

Though it's hard to pick a favorite page, this might be it, 
because it's so playful. And we all know that play heals!


Finally, it will be a beautiful baby shower gift that pairs perfectly
with the little baby hats that I'm knitting in my spare time.


I used to love being the Knitting Club sponsor, because our students
would attach these beautiful hand-written notes to the mom 
and the baby about how they knit their hats with love.

I am so grateful for that flashback when I read the author's joy-filled advice
made complete with page after page of stunningly-charming illustrations.

So check it out, then head to Susanna Hill's blog for today's other titles.


Dear Friend, thank you for your continued support and love;
our world is better because of YOU.

 

 





4 comments

  1. So sweet. I'm an AKR fan, and it looks like her daughter is doing a great job of following in her footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here! I am with Jilanne as a AKR fan and totally agree her daughter is doing an amazing job of following in her footsteps. And this one has such a cute cover. Also love your tiny hat making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet read and a perfect shower gift! I love that Paris Rosenthal has become an author. Loved her mother's books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet book. And thanks for sharing the story of loving help at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!