PPBF: Love You By Heart

Today I'm grateful because of the people behind these treasures
that have recently come stamped with love to my mailbox.

These kind humans are making love a verb as they walk with me through this season of sadness with handwritten notes of compassion and care.

The book from Roman in Canada that warmed my heart
on this cold winter's day is today's awesome PPBF.


Title: Love You By Heart
Author & Illustrator: Peter H. Reynolds
Publisher: Orchard Books
Birth Date: January 4, 2022
Suitable for: ages 3-5 (and beyond!)
Themes: affirmations, connection, love
Brief synopsis: A beautiful ballad to that red thread, the heart, that weaves us all together.
Opening page: 
I loved you by heart
even before I met you.
I've loved you always,
I've always loved you.

Resources:

Listen in on a read-aloud {here}.
Read a review at YA and Kids Books Central {here}.
Praise and kudos for the book {here}.
Try this Heart Map lesson {here}.

Why I like this book: Simply put, I love the simplicity with which the reader is introduced to the ideal of unconditional love. Start by asking your learners what they think "by heart" means. I learned that expression at the age of five, when my piano teacher told my parents that I had the gift of playing music by heart, something that has stuck with me for a very long time. Who knows? Their answers might be perfect for posting in a Wakelet digitally or on puzzle piece on a bulletin board like this one:


This quick read-aloud would beautifully compare and contrast 
with these lovely titles:


Ask your readers what their favorite line in the book is
and encourage them to write about or illustrate what
that particular line means to them. Why did it resonate?
How does it speak to who they are and how they love?
How might it help them love more wholeheartedly?

My favorite line: You ARE my song. 

Can you imagine being called someone's song? 🎶

Invite your students to write a ballad, a song about
someone who loves them unconditionally.
Or someone that they love unconditionally.
Or both. Because music is what feelings sound like.


Check out this Peter H. Reynolds jewel, then head to
Susanna Hill's blog for today's other perfect picks.










2 comments

  1. I just got a copy of Love You by Heart. I enjoyed how you reviewed Reynolds' book. It is always such a joy to visit your site. In my personal studies, love, beauty and truth are the real teachers in our lives. We must become them. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Peter Reynolds' books! This one looks like a perfect book to share this month.

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!