PPBF: Bad Day

Today I'm still reflecting on last week's beautiful trek back home;
look at how picturesque the WI fall foliage looks on our TX porch.

Autumn really is something special in America's Dairyland.


Today's PPBF pick is also pretty special. 


Title: Bad Day
Author and Illustrator: Ruby Roth
Birth Date: September 10, 2019
Publisher: North Atlantic Books
Suitable for ages: K-3rd grade
Themes: feelings, emotional regulation, mindfulness
Brief synopsis: A child having such a bad day that he wants to disappear into a paper bag learns that with the proper mindful response, he can harness the power to regulate his feelings and turn his day around.
Opening page: 
You saw me, I fear! 
Do NOT come in here!
I'm WAY too crabby, I'll cry!
I'm grumpy and frumpy
and down-in-the-dumpy.
Resources:
Check out the book's trailer {here}.
Watch an author interview {here}.
Find out more about Ruby Roth {here}.
Read a book review {here}.
Visit LAParent's post about Bad Day {here}.

Why I like this book: Who among us hasn't had a bad day, one during which we'd really just rather run and hide than show up and get sucked into the chaos? It's what makes this text so relatable. But hiding in a paper bag? Maybe not. Still, it makes for a wonderful talking point, a built-in teachable moment. Remember the Judith Viorst classic Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? Well, that child wanted to move very far away, to Australia, right? Stop after those first few pages to find out where your learners would like to escape to, to find calm on their bad days. With the younger learners, you may have to stop to explain a few words, like frumpy and distraught.

Through mindful reflection inside his safe place, the child realizes that he had the power all along, to navigate through his feelings and maintain self-control through his responses and the use of positive self talk.

I'll be okay, no matter the day,
no matter what goes on outside.
No matter the people,
their words or their ways,
I am my own feelings guide. 

Seize this opportunity to encourage your students to find out what they think a Feelings Guide might look like if they were to draw one to self-regulate and sharpen their skills on our SEL Core Competencies

Click {here} if you'd like a Feelings Booklet template. 

When I first read the book, I kind of wished there'd be a school counselor or other trusted adult to help guide or mentor him, but at my second or third time through, I realized the beauty of him learning and growing as he reflects on his challenges through the day and talks his way out of his self-imposed escape route.

'Cause even a BAD day
can teach you some good,
and that feelings are
nothing to fear. 

Check out this book, then head to Susanna Hill's blog
for today's other PPBF titles.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find my calm
as I go back through my Wisconsin photo gallery.


Doesn't this one look like a screen saver or a puzzle?






2 comments

  1. Oh, I wish I'd seen your review before I sent some birthday books to my great niece this week. This is a gem. Love the theme -- who doesn't have a bad day -- and the funny verse. You pick such great books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book made my day better, because I was feeling down. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete

I really enjoy hearing from my readers; thanks for sharing your reflections with us!